LCA investigates all stages of the products life cycle, from raw material extraction to disposal and recycling.
At each of these stages, LCA measures the energy and materials used, generated wastes, released emissions, along with other environmental impacts.
SCENARIO: 330 ml bottle size comparison
- 18.1g Aisacan™ Hot fill printed
- 30.53g PET Hot fill & shrink
- 22.57g PET aseptic & shrink
Filling in Montpellier, France and sales in London, UK
The independent LCA study revealed three main results:
- Carbon footprint
1. The carbon foot print is one of the standard quantitative measurements used to gauge the total global warming effect. The carbon footprint can be defined as a measurement of weight calculated in grams or kilograms of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases emitted by a human activity or accumulated over the full life cycle of a product.
Aisacan™ Hot fill bottle:
- 53% less than the PET Hot fill container and
- 36% less than the PET aseptic container
Aisacan™ Hot fill is fully recyclable: it can be recycled as PE in existing household recycling systems.
Actual physical trials in a recycling plant have been carried out, proving that:
- The material separates well and is easily identified as PE (and so separated from PET)
- It flakes and processes well
- It produces high quality recycled plastic
- The EVOH barrier layer in the product is so tiny it mixes completely during recycling and causes no issues
- The recyclate is strong and suitable for a variety of applications
In practice in the UK recycling system, householders would put Aisacan™
in their usual plastic bottle recycling stream, and at most recycling plants it would be separated into the standard grade PE recycling fraction (ie one grade below the premium uncolored grade, and better than the mixed and reject grades).
Overall, Aisacan™ Hot fill is fully recyclable and justifies the application of the WIDELY RECYCLED logo.
The goal of this study was to use streamlined Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) methods to quantify life cycle environmental impacts and to compare the production, distribution and disposal of a 330ml Aisacan™ Hot fill pack against PET hot fill and aseptic alternatives in the UK.